BROOKLINE – October 8, 2017 – A ceremonial groundbreaking was held recently for Congregation Kehillath Israel in Brookline, Mass. to commemorate the full interior renovation and 10,000 SF addition to the existing building. The work, coinciding with the synagogue’s centennial year, is designed to improve the facilities and make them ADA compliant.
President David Williams delivered remarks to the crowd and praised the achievements of the more than 300 donors, who contributed a total of $15 million to enable the renovations.
“From the time we started planning for KI’s 2017 Centennial almost a decade ago, we knew that we had an opportunity to create an innovative center of urban Judaism, one that could serve Greater Boston and act as a model for communities across the country and around the world. Today we can proudly say the vision is within reach,” he added.
Congregation Kehillath Israel has dedicated itself to creating a multi-generational, innovative and inclusive center for Jewish learning and worship, and recently voted to co-locate with Congregation Mishkan Tefila of Chestnut Hill, Mass.
In 2016, Kaplan completed the exterior restoration to the congregation’s sanctuary and school, which were originally built in 1924.
Project team members include:
- Handlin, Garrahan & Associates of Belmont, Mass.: Project architect
- WaypointKLA of Needham, Mass.: Owner’s rep
- Stantec of Boston: Landscape architect/civil engineer
- Energy Economics of Newton, Mass.: MEP engineer
- Foley Buhl Roberts & Associates, Inc. of Newton, Mass.: Structural engineer
- Building Envelope Technologies of South Easton, Mass.: Waterproof engineer