Kaplan Construction, a WBE general contractor and construction management firm providing comprehensive building programs across Greater Boston, announced today that it has completed a new 17,000 SF, three-story apartment building and renovations to existing apartments at Holyoke Farms in Holyoke, Mass. The project creates 229 units of mixed income family housing across 32 buildings, including 217 renovated two- and three-bedroom townhouse apartments. The owner is Holyoke Farms Redevelopment LLC, a long-standing partnership between Maloney Properties and the Whiting Farms Tenant Association, and the developer/sponsor is Maloney Development LLC.
- Kaplan sensitively responded to the occupied rehabilitation component of this project, ever mindful of the residents and minimizing disruption whenever possible. Despite a global health pandemic, we were able to meet all our goals with little interference to our schedule. The result is a reinvigorated and renewed development, and new affordable housing units to support the City of Holyoke.Felicia JacquesVice president & managing director of developmentMaloney Properties
Starting in June 2019, Kaplan performed the demolition of an existing residential structure containing eight townhouse units, before constructing a new three-story building in its place. It includes 12 fully accessible housing units, community space, laundry room, and a new management office. The new building, clad with masonry veneer and three different metal siding types, is at once durable and aesthetically appealing. The company also performed “back-to-the-studs” renovations to 217 full baths on the campus’ existing residential units. Each bathroom received new flooring, drywall, tub, sink, toilet, lighting, and ventilation.
- We have enjoyed a successful relationship over the years working with Maloney Properties. Holyoke Farms is our largest project in Western Massachusetts to date and the result is 229 well-conceived units for families of modest means. We are proud to partner with Maloney to develop communities which help to address the housing crisis in Massachusetts.Nathan PeckPresidentKaplan Construction
The ground-up project included site work, new utility entrances, a ground water retention system, and new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection (MEP/FP) systems. Kaplan worked extensively with architect Guzman Prufer and MEP subcontractors to find alternative locations for mechanical systems so the apartments could be enhanced with increased ceiling heights and kitchen pass-throughs. In addition, Kaplan replaced all boilers serving the existing complex with more energy efficient equipment, upgraded the HVAC zoning, and replaced electrical panels in each apartment.
Extensive site work included repaving the parking lots and sidewalks throughout the complex. Kaplan added three “pocket parks” with landscaping and benches and a “tot lot” with play structure to create community gathering spaces. Additionally, patios and steps were replaced at many apartments to complete the landscape upgrades.
Holyoke Farms is situated near schools, parks, and healthcare providers, with shopping and dining at the nearby Holyoke Mall. Residents also enjoy ease of transportation with proximity to the Mass Pike and I-91, onsite public transportation, and a neighboring Amtrak station.
When the COVID-19 pandemic emerged in March, Kaplan installed additional hand-washing stations and restrooms, disinfected the site multiple times per day, and quickly adapted to adhere to the strictest guidelines within the state.
The project team members for this project include:
- Owner: Holyoke Farms Redevelopment LLC
- Developer/Sponsor: Maloney Development LLC
- Construction Manager: Kaplan Construction
- Architect: Guzman Prufer, Inc.
- Structural Engineer: Summit Engineers, PLLC
- MEP/FP Engineer: Wozny/Barbar & Associates, Inc.
- Civil Engineer: White Engineering, Inc.
- Landscape Architect: Plant It Green Landscape Architecture
- Property Manager: Maloney Properties, Inc.
With over 40 years of multifamily experience in its portfolio, Kaplan has worked on both new construction and renovation projects for various apartment complexes and condominiums throughout Greater Boston. Most recently, Kaplan provided construction management services at the Revolution Hotel for The Mount Vernon Company; JFK Crossing for Aura Properties; 839 Beacon Street for WaypointKLA; Nine Williams Street for Madison Park Development Corporation; Lyman School Apartments for East Boston Community Development Corporation; Tilia in Jamaica Plain for Luzern Associates and Urbanica; and various renovations for Equity Residential.