Posted 1 year ago
Kaplan has an immediate opening for a full-time superintendent who will lead, direct, and coordinate the work of subcontractors and/or Kaplan carpenters & laborers. The superintendent is responsible for ensuring safety, schedule delivery, quality of work performed, and adherence to budget of the project.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversee and make decisions related to the performance of work related to scheduling, delivery, logistics, quality control and safety
- Oversee work among assigned trades to promote a coordinated project operations; resolve local area problems regarding procedures, precedence, design clarifications, adequate labor and equipment schedule, and all other appropriate matters
- Manage the overall site safety program as required and ensure subcontractor compliance with Kaplan standards and all applicable safety codes and regulations
- Create look ahead schedules and determine sequencing of work; develop and implement recovery strategies to maintain project schedule
- Communicate with owners and architects/engineers in connections with field issues; investigate and resolve such issues
- Manage the work to ensure that it is installed in compliance with and conforms to the approved contract documents
- Attend project meetings
- Maintain records for site personnel such as daily field reports, field orders, submittals, and RFIs
- Review and become familiar with the schedule and budget, and ensure adherence to these
- Place orders for materials, and be responsible for equipment and materials on site
- Liaise with inspection authorities regarding approvals
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Planning and organizing
- Communication skills
- Influencing and leading
- Team work
- Conflict management
- High stress tolerance
- Cares and takes pride in the product and service provided
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of four years’ related experience training and/or experience
- OSHA 10 and OSHA 30
- Minimum of a Massachusetts Construction Supervisors License
- Boston ABC Construction Supervisors License is a plus
- Cambridge Construction Supervisors License is a plus
- 7+ years’ experience as a project superintendent in the construction industry
- 5+ years’ experience in ground up, renovation and interior fit-out
- Knowledge of building construction, means and methods, scheduling and cost control procedures, general contract, general conditions, subcontract documents, drawings and specifications, including Microsoft Office Suite and proficiency in EH&S applications
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings specifications, scopes of work and project schedule
- Demonstrate leadership and interpersonal skills
- Thorough knowledge of Industry Safety standards
- Working knowledge of CPM schedule
- At a minimum can develop, maintain, and communicate an Excel-based 2 or 3 week or 1 month look ahead
- Ability to work with and manage multiple people
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good computer knowledge and understands how to use the industry technology tools to manage, coordinate, communicate, and schedule all stakeholders involved
- Proficient with taking and uploading digital photographs
- Can utilize electronic tools to develop, maintain, and communicate logistics, sequence, and constructability plans to all stakeholders
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Performance of the duties will occasionally require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders, and negotiate work areas under construction.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear (bells, whistles, etc.), stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.