Kaplan Construction is in need of a skilled & experienced finish carpenter, available immediately for projects in the Greater Boston area.
This position is responsible for constructing, erecting, installing, and repairing structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter’s hand tools and power tools, and confirming to local building codes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Perform tasks involving physical labor on construction projects may including the following but not limited to:
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations for performing general safety and protection requirements and maintain a safe and clean environment on job sites.
- Verify trueness of structure, using plumb bob and level.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saw.
- Study specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Assemble and fasten materials using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Build or repair cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, carpenter’s hand tools, and power tools.
- Erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Install structures and fixtures, such as windows, frames, floorings, and trim, or hardware, using carpenter’s hand and power tools.
- Select and order lumber and other required construction materials.
- Maintain records, document actions and present written progress reports.
- Finish surfaces of woodwork or wallboard in houses and buildings, using paint, hand tools, and paneling.
- Construct forms and chutes for pouring concrete.
- Cover subfloors with building paper to keep out moisture and lay hardwood, parquet, and wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- Fill cracks and other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool.
- Construct, erect, install, interior and exterior wood and metal framing, window and door frames, doors and hardware, toilet partitions and accessories, acoustical ceilings, millwork, casework, cabinets, interior and exterior trim systems, drywall and batt or roll insulation
- May also include concrete forms, building frameworks and wood stairways, as well as other types of general trades tasks.
- Read and understand hardware schedules.
- Site Cleanup
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Other duties as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum of a High School or Vocational/Technical School Diploma
- Successful completion of a carpentry apprenticeship program is required
- Successful completion of a carpentry Journeyman program is preferred
- Minimum 5 years construction industry experience preferred
- OSHA 10 and OSHA 30
- Massachusetts Construction Supervisors License is preferred
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures, foundations and framing.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, basic geometry, and their applications to carpentry.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective installations of concrete formwork, shoring, anchor bolts, embedded items, water stops and keyways.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including uses, repair, and maintenance associated with carpentry and woodworking.
- Knowledge of doors, bathroom partitions and associated hardware.
- Knowledge of basic building layout and leveling.
- Basic knowledge of building codes.
- Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Basic knowledge of blueprint reading.
- Willingness to work overtime when necessary to deliver the project on time.
- Not waiting for direction by manager, takes the initiative in an effort to keep busy.
- Workers must be punctual and reliable.
- Care and take pride in the product and service you’re responsible for.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is sometimes exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Policy
Kaplan Construction is committed to offering equal employment opportunity to all persons. It is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities by recruiting, hiring, training and promoting applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, gender identity/expression, disability, handicap, military obligations, veteran status or any other category protected by law. We recognize that safeguarding the health and welfare of our employees is of the highest priority and we offer a workplace free of harassment.
By submitting this application, you affirm the following:
I certify that all information on this application and any other material provided by me is true and complete. I agree that
falsified information, misrepresentations or omissions on this application, or any accompanying resume or other materials will
disqualify me from consideration for employment and will be considered justification for dismissal whenever discovered.
Unless otherwise noted, I authorize Kaplan Construction or its agent to investigate and/or verify all information in this
application, including contacting all persons, schools, current employer (if applicable), previous employers and other individuals or
entities named herein (and those named on accompanying resume, if any). I hereby authorize my former employers and other third
parties named on this application to release information pertaining to my work record, habits and performances. In doing so, I
hereby release them and Kaplan Construction and its agents from all liability which may flow from the release of such information.
I understand that if I am hired my employment will be on an at-will basis, for no definite term. As such, I understand
that I will enjoy the right to terminate my employment at any time, and that Kaplan Construction will similarly enjoy the right to
terminate my employment, at any time, with or without cause. This status can only be modified by a written document setting
forth such modification, signed by both me and an authorized representative of Kaplan Construction. I further acknowledge that I
am expected to abide by all company rules, regulations, and policies, written or unwritten, but that such rules, regulations and
policies do not create a contract between me and the Company or otherwise restrict the right of either party to terminate the
Note: It is unlawful in Massachusetts to require or administer a lie detector test as a condition of employment or continued
employment. An employer who violates this law shall be subject to criminal penalties and civil liability.