Kaplan Construction is in need of skilled, experienced, and vaccinated workers for positions available immediately for projects in Roxbury. Positions include: general labor, carpentry, masonry, drywall, roofing, painting, pipe fitting, iron work, plumbing, sheet metal, and electrical. Must be reliable, trustworthy, and willing to work hard.
Boston residents from the following zipcodes are encouraged to apply: 02118, 02119, 02120, 02121, 02122, 02124, 02125, 02130, 02127, 02126. Must have minimum of 5 years’ experience in commercial construction. OSHA 10 is required.
Perform tasks involving physical labor at building construction projects. May operate hand and power tools of all types. May clean and prepare sites, perform general laboring tasks, perform skilled labor tasks, and clean up rubble and debris.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Tasks involving physical labor on construction projects may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- General protection and safety – hang signage, safety equipment, set up markers, cones and barricades
- Maintain temporary construction fence
- Load or unload building materials to be used in construction
- Climb to heights and conduct work with proper safety restraints
- Lift heavy loads up to 75lbs and navigate construction job site terrain
- Dig pits, trenches and foundations in preparation for job site construction
- Operate heavy machinery, including construction vehicles
- Identify and have the awareness of surrounding underground and overhead utility lines
- Perform demolition tasks
- Perform setup and cleanup tasks at job site
- Direct traffic when necessary to ensure safety of pedestrians, motorists and work crew
- Back-fill trenches and pits when necessary
- Provide labor support as needed for specialty crew
- Perform general maintenance of construction equipment
- Set up and take down ladders, scaffolding, and other temporary structures
- Using a variety of tools and machines such as levels, lifts, power drills, grinders, saws, pressure, and washers
- Pick up all tools, equipment, materials and secure job site each day
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- High school diploma/GED preferred
- OSHA 10 minimum
- Must have experience as a general laborer in the construction industry.
- Minimum 5 years construction industry experience preferred.
- Basic understanding of construction principles and procedures.
- Ability to do physical labor and other strenuous physical tasks.
- Ability to work in all weather.
- Comfort working in high-stress environment with extreme weather fluctuations.
- General construction laborers must have physical strength, hand-eye coordination, and endurance.
- Laborers must also be able to concentrate on their tasks.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- The ability to understand and communicate information is also essential orally and in writing.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is sometimes exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Policy
Kaplan Construction is committed to offering equal employment opportunity to all persons. It is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities by recruiting, hiring, training and promoting applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, gender identity/expression, disability, handicap, military obligations, veteran status or any other category protected by law. We recognize that safeguarding the health and welfare of our employees is of the highest priority and we offer a workplace free of harassment.
By submitting this application, you affirm the following:
I certify that all information on this application and any other material provided by me is true and complete. I agree that
falsified information, misrepresentations or omissions on this application, or any accompanying resume or other materials will
disqualify me from consideration for employment and will be considered justification for dismissal whenever discovered.
Unless otherwise noted, I authorize Kaplan Construction or its agent to investigate and/or verify all information in this
application, including contacting all persons, schools, current employer (if applicable), previous employers and other individuals or
entities named herein (and those named on accompanying resume, if any). I hereby authorize my former employers and other third
parties named on this application to release information pertaining to my work record, habits and performances. In doing so, I
hereby release them and Kaplan Construction and its agents from all liability which may flow from the release of such information.
I understand that if I am hired my employment will be on an at-will basis, for no definite term. As such, I understand
that I will enjoy the right to terminate my employment at any time, and that Kaplan Construction will similarly enjoy the right to
terminate my employment, at any time, with or without cause. This status can only be modified by a written document setting
forth such modification, signed by both me and an authorized representative of Kaplan Construction. I further acknowledge that I
am expected to abide by all company rules, regulations, and policies, written or unwritten, but that such rules, regulations and
policies do not create a contract between me and the Company or otherwise restrict the right of either party to terminate the
Note: It is unlawful in Massachusetts to require or administer a lie detector test as a condition of employment or continued
employment. An employer who violates this law shall be subject to criminal penalties and civil liability.