Renderings courtesy of Guzman Prufer, Inc.
BOSTON – June 26, 2019 – Kaplan Construction, a WBE general contractor and construction management firm providing comprehensive building programs across Greater Boston, announced today that it has been selected to construct a new 17,000 SF, three-story apartment building and perform renovations to existing apartments at Holyoke Farms in Holyoke, Mass.
Upon completion, the project will offer 229 units of mixed income family housing across 32 buildings, including 217 renovated two- and three-bedroom townhouse apartments. A new three-story apartment building will replace an existing two-story residential building on Holyoke’s campus and will provide 12 fully accessible housing units, community space, laundry room, and a new management office. The owner is Holyoke Farms Redevelopment LLC, a long-standing partnership between Maloney Properties and the Whiting Farms Tenant Association. The developer/sponsor is Maloney Development LLC.
- They were extremely helpful in providing pre-construction services through the predevelopment period. They communicated clearly with us and the sub-consultants, making sure everyone was on the same page. Their responsiveness, management and control of the construction process contributed enormously to the success of this project during a time of construction pricing volatility.Felicia JacquesVice president & managing director of developmentMaloney Properties
Starting in June 2019, Kaplan will perform the demolition of the existing residential structure containing eight townhouse units, before constructing a new three-story building in its place. The ground-up project will include site work, new utility entrances, a ground water retention system, and new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems. Concurrently, the company will perform “back-to-the-studs” renovations to 217 full baths on the campus’ existing residential units. Each bathroom will receive new flooring, drywall, tub, sink, toilet, lighting, and ventilation. In addition, Kaplan will replace all boilers with more energy efficient equipment as well as upgrade the HVAC zoning and replace electrical panels in each apartment.
Extensive site work includes repaving the parking lots and sidewalks throughout the complex and adding “pocket parks” with landscaping and benches to create community gathering spaces. Additionally, patios and steps will be replaced at many apartments to complete the landscape upgrades.
The project team members for this project include:
- Owner: Holyoke Farms Redevelopment LLC
- Developer/Sponsor: Maloney Development LLC
- Construction Manager: Kaplan Construction
- Architect: Guzman Prufer, Inc.
- Structural Engineer: Summit Engineers, PLLC
- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection (MEP/FP) Engineer: Wozny/Barbar & Associates, Inc.
- Civil Engineer: White Engineering, Inc.
- Landscape Architect: Plant It Green Landscape Architecture
- Property Manager: Maloney Properties, Inc.
With over 40 years of multifamily experience in its portfolio, Kaplan has worked on both new construction and renovation projects for various apartment complexes and condominiums throughout Greater Boston. Most recently, Kaplan provided construction management services at the Revolution Hotel for The Mount Vernon Company; JFK Crossing for Aura Properties; 455 Harvard Street for Danesh Group; 839 Beacon Street for WaypointKLA; Nine Williams Street for Madison Park Development Corporation; Lyman School Apartments for East Boston Community Development Corporation; Tilia in Jamaica Plain for Luzern Associates and Urbanica; and various renovations for Equity Residential.