BOSTON – July 7, 2020 – Kaplan Construction, a WBE general contractor and construction management firm providing comprehensive building programs across Greater Boston, announced today it has completed the interior renovations at Tremont on the Common, a full-service condominium property in the heart of Boston. Located at 151 Tremont Street adjacent to the Boston Common, the 28-story building features 374 residential condominium units and 2 commercial spaces.
Designed by Visnick & Caulfield, the first phase of the project involved the renovation of a rear corridor to create a temporary entrance into the building while the main lobby was under construction. In the lobby, Kaplan installed a custom concierge desk, fabric ceiling panels, and custom stone flooring from quarries in Greece and Turkey. High-gloss wood panels on the walls modernize the lobby, which was last renovated in 1992. Kaplan worked closely with the design team and property management firm FirstService Residential to minimize the impact on tenants and building operations during the occupied renovation.
- Kaplan Construction did a great job communicating with us and our residents to ensure as little disruption to the normal rhythm of our community. Understanding that Tremont on the Common is home to 650 residents, Kaplan’s project team accommodated special requests. Their attention to detail made all the difference and we were able to maintain our original schedule. Our residents are excited to have a gorgeous lobby and get out on the new and improved pool deck this summer.Franny AllesciaProperty managerFirstService Residential
The residential corridors on 21 floors were updated with new custom carpet, wallpaper, and lighting fixtures. Kaplan replaced the door hardware and chimes on every unit door, requiring close coordination with residents and building security. The five building elevators were given a facelift with new finishes.
Much of the renovation centered around the sixth-floor amenity space, which features a heated outdoor swimming pool, fitness area, and resident lounge. Kaplan installed wood pavers along the outdoor deck, erected a trellis with lighting, and built wood slat walls to upgrade the pool area. A bathroom and new terrace doors were also added at the pool deck. An existing fitness room was gutted to make way for a state-of-the-art gym and bathroom. Across the hall, Kaplan upgraded the residents’ lounge with an open floor plan design that included a new kitchen, new lighting, bathroom and a Myst electric fireplace.
The project team members for this project include:
- Owner: Tremont on the Common Condominium Trust
- Property Manager: FirstService Residential
- Construction Manager: Kaplan Construction
- Architect: Visnick & Caufield
- Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) Engineer: Commercial Construction Consulting, Inc.
- Structural Engineer: McNamara & Salvia Structural Engineers
Renderings and corridor photo courtesy of Visnick & Caulfield