BOSTON – September 7, 2022 – Kaplan Construction, a WBE general contractor and construction management firm providing comprehensive building programs across Greater Boston, announced today that it has completed interior and exterior renovations to a 15,000 SF building at 761-773 Centre Street in Jamaica Plain, Mass. The project included the demolition of interior space and a 7,500 SF renovation within a historic retail block to create new commercial space including The Village Works and four other businesses.
To build out The Village Works’ new location, Kaplan gutted a former appliance store before installing new spray foam insulation, drywall, glass partitions, and ceilings. To increase the building’s footprint, Kaplan converted the lower level of an adjacent hair salon for back-of-house operations and a staff break room. The space also features an open co-working area, café with kitchenette, both a loud and quiet room, three conference rooms, and twelve private offices. System upgrades include all new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire safety (MEP/FP), water service, fire alarm system, and gas service. Green building selections were implemented throughout, including smart systems, energy efficient upgrades, and reclaimed materials.
- We are an independent neighborhood co-working space with a goal of supporting our local neighbors and creating a work home away from home. Kaplan took good care of us from the very start and created an amazing high-performance space designed for the health, happiness, and productivity of our members.Lisa Wasserman SivanCo-founderThe Village Works
Other tenants at this address, including Espresso Yourself, Vee Vee Restaurant, Station 8 Salon, and Salmagundi, received new life safety systems. Several new openings were made in the existing masonry façade for new windows, and skylights were installed to bring in more natural light. In addition, Kaplan replaced and repointed the masonry façade for the entire building. Major repairs were made to the roof, including the century-old front parapet, which was structurally compromised and required a full restoration. After salvaging the existing precast, Kaplan repaired the steel structure and rebuilt the parapet using the original materials.
Renovations to the rear site included the installation of a new groundwater recharge system, lighting, and parking lot. Updated landscaping elements feature trees and plantings along with an irrigation system. The new multi-level shared courtyard houses a bar and dining area under a glass roof for building users.
The project team members for this project include:
- Owner: 769 Centre Street LLC
- Construction Manager: Kaplan Construction
- Architect: Spear Design Group
- Interiors: The Village Works
- Structural Engineer: Roome & Guarracino
- MEP/FP: Wozny Barbar
- Civil Engineer: Everett M. Brooks
- Landscape Architect: Michael Wasser Associates
- Acoustics: Cavanaugh Tocci
Photos courtesy of Josh Kuchinsky